Header Ads

DOE intensifies waste‑to‑energy rollout with Marcos' renewed push

TECNO
Infinix
Auction targets rise as WTE plans advance.
Basura to energy soon?

DOE expands waste-to-energy program

The Department of Energy (DOE) is stepping up implementation of its waste-to-energy (WTE) program.

This follows President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.'s renewed call to turn residual waste into a productive resource, amid concerns over garbage accumulating in waterways and contributing to flooding.

Waste that can no longer be reused or recycled should not simply end up in landfills or waterways. Subject to strict environmental safeguards, appropriate residual waste can be converted into useful energy and contribute to our power supply, Energy Secretary Sharon S. Garin said.

The DOE last month officially resumed activities for the Special Auction Round for Waste-to-Energy under the Green Energy Auction Program. It increased the installation target from 230 megawatts (MW) to 400 MW and revised the auction terms to encourage greater participation and accelerate investment in qualified WTE projects.


The Auction Proper is scheduled for October 13. Winning bidders' projects are expected to achieve mechanical completion by the end of 2028 and begin delivering electricity by the end of 2029.

The DOE sees WTE as an additional pathway for managing suitable residual waste that would otherwise require final disposal, while producing electricity that can contribute to the country's growing energy requirements.

Metro Manila alone generates an estimated 9,000 metric tons of municipal solid waste daily. Based on DOE estimates, the current waste stream in the metropolis could support around 200 MW of WTE capacity, subject to the availability and suitability of feedstock and other technical requirements.

The DOE stressed that WTE is intended to complement, not replace, waste reduction, segregation, reuse, recycling, and materials recovery under the country's solid waste management framework. Only acceptable residual wastes should be considered as feedstock for WTE facilities.

Environmental compliance will likewise remain a central requirement in the development of WTE projects. Facilities will be required to comply with applicable environmental laws, permitting requirements, and emissions standards throughout their development and operation.

Developer interest in WTE has been growing, including potential projects in Metro Manila and surrounding areas. Aggregate proposals have approached 400 MW, highlighting the need to carefully assess the availability and sustainability of feedstock alongside the technical, environmental, commercial, and implementation viability of each project.

The DOE emphasized that proposed capacity does not automatically translate into project awards. Projects will have to demonstrate adequate and sustainable waste supply, technical and financial capability, environmental compliance, competitive cost, and the ability to meet required development timelines.

The department said it continues to engage relevant government agencies, local government units, developers, and other stakeholders on project eligibility, registration, feedstock requirements, technical standards, and implementation arrangements. This is meant to ensure that projects advanced under the program are practical and deliverable.

WTE generation projects are expected to be financed and developed by qualified project proponents under the applicable market and auction framework, consistent with the private sector-led structure of power generation in the country.

What do you think?

Sources: DOE, PIE

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
close
gizguide