LG G6 Unboxing And First Impressions
LG G6 Specs
Unboxing / Accessories
|Missing, earbuds or in-ear monitors w/ mic|
Upon opening the package, you are in for a treat. The LG G6 is an eye candy. We were very surprised on how small and good it looks for a big screened handset. It also includes the 9V / 1.8A quick charger, USB Type C data / charging cables, SIM ejector tool, and pre-installed screen protector.
However, the box of the review unit we got failed to include even just a generic earbuds or in-ear monitors w/ mic. It's a little uncharacteristic as the V20 B&O PLAY H3 to maximize the quad DAC setup.
Build Quality / Design
|Gorgeous and solid build!|
Coming from the V20, we're absolutely impressed the way LG machined this handset. As matter of fact, the decent build of V20 and even the iPhone 7 Plus felt like a toy in comparison with G6. From memory, the build is even more solid than the Galaxy S8 and Huawei P10 Plus.
The LG G6 is the toughest flagship smartphone in the market yet!
Why? LG equipped the G6 with a stainless steel unibody frame w/ military grade certification and IP68 rating for water and dust resistance. It has proper and non-sharp chamfered edges and 2.5D curved glass.
|Headphone jack and mic on top|
|Another mic, USB Type C port, and speaker grills below|
|Volume rocker at left|
|Hybrid SIM slot at right|
Design-wise, we are impressed on how small it looked for a big screened handset. LG was able to squeeze a LARGE 5.7 inch QHD+ screen on a frame that's smaller than the 5.5 inch Huawei P10 Plus. It almost have a borderless design (2:1 ratio), the corner curves are great, and the arching back is sleek.
My few concern are it felt thicker than the listed 7.9 mm slimness and it doesn't have an arching 2.5D curved glass. But, overall, this is arguably the best designed handset in the planet yet.
Amazingly, one handed operation is possible on its HUGE 5.7 inch screen, crazy!
The LG G6 is an ergonomic masterpiece too. Why? It's crazy that one handed operation is possible on its HUGE 5.7 inch display. There's also no waste of space here as the home button also acts as your fingerprint scanner. The 3.5 mm headphone slot is on top, volume rocker at left, USB Type C port / speakers below, and hybrid SIM tray at right.
|Flagship grade Antutu score!|
1. The aesthetics of Galaxy S8 is impressive, but I find the safer and more functional design of LG G6 better. On top of that, it has the most solid build from any flagship smartphone out there. The almost full screen 2:1 ratio QHD+ screen is also amazing and we liked that it has IP68 water and dust resistance already.
2. Loaded with Snapdragon 821 chip, some might think that its a little step below than the likes of Galaxy S8 series. On paper yes, but in real life, the difference might not be that big to be noticeable. Performance is buttery smooth so far. However, my only gripe here is the base storage, it could have been bigger at 128 GB just like the P10 Plus.
3. LG's new skin on running on Android 7.0 Nougat OS feels cleaner and better now. We liked how the icons were placed and the virtual keyboard was made. It is very clean and near bloat free as well.
4. The cameras of this handset has a similar setup found with V20. The camera performance is better out of the box though.
5. USB OTG is great, the fingerprint scanner behind is also your physical power button, there's no physical Android keys, and LED notification is present.
Related: LG G6: First Camera Samples